Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Grandma's Kitchen

Salsa and Sweeeeet Pickles!!!
Throughout the day Monday, I worked on cutting tomatoes, peppers and onions to make a batch of salsa.  I was cooking it down and went to go look for pint bottles in my fruit room.  Much to my dismay, I realized that I only had four and I needed about 20 more.  I put the lid on my crock of salsa to keep overnight.  I decided I would deal with this problem in the morning.

Tuesday morning, I texted my mom to see if she had any solutions to my lack of bottles.  She said she was at Grandma's and that Gram was willing to give me some of hers.  So I buckled Toddy in and we drove to Lehi to Grandma's house.

I brought her a little goody basket full of canned goods from this year, which she was tickled to get.  She immediately took me into her storage room to put the bottles away.  It was full of good smells and brightly colored canned fruits and vegetables.  I remember playing hide and seek in there when I was little, but only carefully because it could be pitch dark in there and for some reason there was only a doorknob on the outside of the door.  But the smell is the same still today.


Cute, Cute Grandma
Grandma invited me into her kitchen where she was busy canning peaches.  This is how I fondly picture Grandma-- in the kitchen cooking or canning, with her cute little apron on, and so happy doing her work.  She wouldn't let me help, but told me just to sit down and visit for a while.  I mentioned the table grapes on her counter, and then she insisted that I go pick a bunch to take home to my family.  I jumped at the chance because we all love them so much.

We visited for a few more minutes, and then sadly, I had to go to pick up Dawson from preschool.  I said, "Grandma, I wish I could stay and visit....ALL DAY."  She said "Me too." 

So I gave her a hug and a kiss (even though she didn't have her dentures in) and we were on our way. 

Grandma is 92 years young and still canning her own food storage.  I love my Grandma Huggard and I am so blessed to have her example and legacy of faith.  I am grateful to her for passing down the tradition and responsibility of gardening and canning.

1 comment:

  1. There are few things more charming than grandmas, even if they aren't your own.

    I can only imagine the memories that your grandchildren are going to have of you. Canning is a dying art, but I hope you keep it up so your future grandkids can have the same delightful memories that you have.

    ReplyDelete