Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What I Learned From my Garden 2007

1.  Plant the BROCCOLI in the corner or somewhere so I can till the rest of the garden in the fall, and continue to let it grow undisturbed through November.

2.  PLANT EARLIER!!  The garden didn't do as well as I expected and I think that was for three reasons:  (1)  planting so late (June 9th- due to just moving in), and (2)  the soil hadn't been amended and seemed barren- no sign of life, and (3)  it needed more water.

3.  Garden fresh CORN is delicious!!  It malts in your mouth as the kernels are so tender.  We probably only got four or five pickings off of it, but again I wonder if that's because we planted so late.  It is a big sacrifice of space.

4.  If I plant PUMPKINS again (we had volunteers this year), plant them along the east side and let the vines grow into the playhouse area.  They take up so much space!!

5.  Use the FENCE.  Next year I want to plant possibly peas or pole beans along the west fence.  Peas need some type of support.

6.  Kill SPIDER MITES ASAP.  They spread fast!!

7.  Plant more than one CHERRY TOMATO plant.

My Raspberry Patch


8.  STRAWBERRIES need lots of sun to do well.


9.  During the hottest weeks of the summer, we may have to WATER the garden extra, or the sun will take its toll on the success of our harvest.

10.  While the RASPBERRIES are producing, water them every other day.

11.  Sprinkle SEVIN on the CORN early on and down into the plant a couple of times before the stalks get too high to control pests.

No comments:

Post a Comment